DHCP server not starting

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I'm trying to set up the keexybox on a raspberry pi 3B+, from the installation script, and the dhcp server is not starting properly. I've turned off the dhcp server on my router, however it gives me the following message when I try to start the server from the console, while logged in as an admin:

Quote:Service dhcp start failed.

I've generated the dhcp file again, but no dice.
Any tips on how I can troubleshoot would be greatly appreciated! And please let me know if there's any more information I can provide.
I'm trying to set up the keexybox on a raspberry pi 3B+, from the installation script, and the dhcp server is not starting properly. I've turned off the dhcp server on my router, however it gives me the following message when I try to start the server from the console, while logged in as an admin:

Quote:Service dhcp start failed.

I've generated the dhcp file again, but no dice.
Any tips on how I can troubleshoot would be greatly appreciated! And please let me know if there's any more information I can provide.
Hi,

Can you check in "system settings -> DHCP" that DHCP ranges match with your networks? By clicking "Save", your configuration will be verified and it will show errors if something is wrong. Also Check if the "Enable DHCP" box is checked (DHCP won't start until it is not checked).

Benoit
Hi,

Can you check in "system settings -> DHCP" that DHCP ranges match with your networks? By clicking "Save", your configuration will be verified and it will show errors if something is wrong. Also Check if the "Enable DHCP" box is checked (DHCP won't start until it is not checked).

Benoit
(05-24-2020, 06:27 PM)benoit Wrote: Hi,

Benoit

Done that, I've attached a screenshot of my config. It just shows a message saying "DHCP settings updated successfully. But DHCP reload failed." I also noticed the blue message, do I need to be using 192.168.1.0/24 instead of 10.0.0.0/24?

Benoit

Done that, I've attached a screenshot of my config. It just shows a message saying "DHCP settings updated successfully. But DHCP reload failed." I also noticed the blue message, do I need to be using 192.168.1.0/24 instead of 10.0.0.0/24?
(05-24-2020, 10:21 PM)bakullama Wrote:

Benoit

I don't have your screenshot Undecided

If the blue message shows you 192.168.1.0/24, the range must be in this network.

Try to start dhcp with CLI to get more details. Connect by SSH as root and run:

/opt/keexybox/keexyapp/src/Shell/scripts/init_dhcpd start

Have you done IP reservations for your devices? Also check if ip reservations for your devices are in one of networks (Connection settings -> devices).

Also, you can provide the content of generated conf files?
/opt/keexybox/dhcpd/etc/dhcpd.conf
/opt/keexybox/dhcpd/etc/dhcpd-reservations.conf (for privacy hide MACs before posting)

It is important to understand KeexyBox's network topologies: https://wiki.keexybox.org/doku.php/network_topologies. DHCP behavior depends on the choosen topology. DHCP may works on both networks (input and output) or just output network.

Also have a look at : https://wiki.keexybox.org/doku.php/system_settings_dhcp

Note that you can reboot the KeexyBox, the KeexyBox starting process do some clean up and reset permissions.

Benoit

If the blue message shows you 192.168.1.0/24, the range must be in this network.

Have you done IP reservations for your devices? Also check if ip reservations for your devices are in one of networks (Connection settings -> devices).

Also, you can provide the content of generated conf files?
/opt/keexybox/dhcpd/etc/dhcpd-reservations.conf (for privacy hide MACs before posting)

It is important to understand KeexyBox's network topologies: https://wiki.keexybox.org/doku.php/network_topologies. DHCP behavior depends on the choosen topology. DHCP may works on both networks (input and output) or just output network.

Note that you can reboot the KeexyBox, the KeexyBox starting process do some clean up and reset permissions.
(05-25-2020, 05:23 AM)paul Wrote:

Benoit

Also, you can provide the output of generated conf files?

Sorry about the image, I thought I'd attached it but apparently not.
running /opt/keexybox/keexyapp/src/Shell/scripts/init_dhcpd start gives the following output
Code:
isc-dhcpd-4.4.2
ls: cannot access '/opt/keexybox/dhcpd/dhcpcd*.pid': No such file or directory
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server 4.4.2
Copyright 2004-2020 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/
bad range, address 192.168.1.150 not in subnet 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0

If you think you have received this message due to a bug rather
than a configuration issue please read the section on submitting
bugs on either our web page at www.isc.org or in the README file
before submitting a bug.  These pages explain the proper
process and the information we find helpful for debugging.

exiting.

This seems odd, as I'm pretty certain I edited the range using the web gui, although it looks like it's getting different values for ip ranges.

my /opt/keexybox/dhcpd/etc/dhcpd.conf file looks like this:

Code:
# GENERATED BY KEEXYBOX WEBUI
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE

ddns-update-style none;

option domain-name "keexybox";

default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;

log-facility local7;

class "external_host" {
        match hardware;
}

class "internal_host" {
        match hardware;
}

include "/opt/keexybox/dhcpd/etc/dhcpd-reservations.conf";

shared-network local_net {
    # INTERNET ROUTER SIDE
    subnet 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        option routers 10.0.0.1;
        option domain-name-servers 10.0.0.5;
        pool {
            range 192.168.1.150 192.168.1.200;
            allow members of "external_host";
            deny unknown-clients;
        }
    }

# USER AND DEVICES SIDE
    subnet 169.254.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        option routers 169.254.1.1;
        option domain-name-servers 169.254.1.1;
        pool {
            range 169.254.1.10 169.254.1.200;
            allow members of "internal_host";
            allow unknown-clients;
        }
    }
}

I notice that it has the wrong IP range again, despite what I specified on the web ui.

and finally, my /opt/keexybox/dhcpd/etc/dhcpd-reservations.conf looks like the following:
Code:
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE

host hostA {
    hardware ethernet ##:##:##:##:##:##;
    fixed-address 169.254.1.12;
}
subclass "internal_host" ##:##:##:##:##:##;

host hostB {
    fixed-address 169.254.1.10;
}

host hostC {
    fixed-address 169.254.1.13;
}

host hostD {
    fixed-address 169.254.1.11;
}

I wasn't sure whether I should be assigning IP addresses for the internal network (ie 169.254.1.0/24) or the original network (ie 10.0.0.0/24)

I ended up manually changing the range in the config file and starting the process from the ssh access, and it seems to be working now! 

Thanks everyone for their help
(05-25-2020, 05:23 AM)paul Wrote:

Benoit

Also, you can provide the output of generated conf files?

Sorry about the image, I thought I'd attached it but apparently not.
running /opt/keexybox/keexyapp/src/Shell/scripts/init_dhcpd start gives the following output
Code:
isc-dhcpd-4.4.2
ls: cannot access '/opt/keexybox/dhcpd/dhcpcd*.pid': No such file or directory
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server 4.4.2
Copyright 2004-2020 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/
bad range, address 192.168.1.150 not in subnet 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0

If you think you have received this message due to a bug rather
than a configuration issue please read the section on submitting
bugs on either our web page at www.isc.org or in the README file
before submitting a bug.  These pages explain the proper
process and the information we find helpful for debugging.

exiting.

This seems odd, as I'm pretty certain I edited the range using the web gui, although it looks like it's getting different values for ip ranges.

my /opt/keexybox/dhcpd/etc/dhcpd.conf file looks like this:

Code:
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE

ddns-update-style none;

option domain-name "keexybox";

default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;

log-facility local7;

class "external_host" {
        match hardware;
}

class "internal_host" {
        match hardware;
}

include "/opt/keexybox/dhcpd/etc/dhcpd-reservations.conf";

shared-network local_net {
    # INTERNET ROUTER SIDE
    subnet 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        option routers 10.0.0.1;
        option domain-name-servers 10.0.0.5;
        pool {
            range 192.168.1.150 192.168.1.200;
            allow members of "external_host";
            deny unknown-clients;
        }
    }

# USER AND DEVICES SIDE
    subnet 169.254.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        option routers 169.254.1.1;
        option domain-name-servers 169.254.1.1;
        pool {
            range 169.254.1.10 169.254.1.200;
            allow members of "internal_host";
            allow unknown-clients;
        }
    }
}

I notice that it has the wrong IP range again, despite what I specified on the web ui.

and finally, my /opt/keexybox/dhcpd/etc/dhcpd-reservations.conf looks like the following:
Code:
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE

host hostA {
    fixed-address 169.254.1.12;
}

host hostB {
    fixed-address 169.254.1.10;
}

host hostC {
    fixed-address 169.254.1.13;
}

host hostD {
    fixed-address 169.254.1.11;
}

I wasn't sure whether I should be assigning IP addresses for the internal network (ie 169.254.1.0/24) or the original network (ie 10.0.0.0/24)

I ended up manually changing the range in the config file and starting the process from the ssh access, and it seems to be working now! 

Thanks everyone for their help
The "output" network is your "original" network before installing keexybox, and the input network is the new network for your devices.

In your case you should use following range for the output network (the second range to set on the DHCP settings page) :
10.0.0.150 -> 10.0.0.200

Be carefull by editing files directly. They may be overwritten by the Web UI. Let me know if you still have issue saving your DHCP config.
The "output" network is your "original" network before installing keexybox, and the input network is the new network for your devices.

In your case you should use following range for the output network (the second range to set on the DHCP settings page) :
10.0.0.150 -> 10.0.0.200

Be carefull by editing files directly. They may be overwritten by the Web UI. Let me know if you still have issue saving your DHCP config.
I too am having this issue, and I too get the same error when trying to manually start DHCP. I have manually edited the /opt/keexybox/dhcpd/etc/dhcpd.conf file to correct the DHCP range, but after clicking Next in the web UI, it writes it back to the incorrect values and breaks DHCP again. What's the status on getting this verified and fixed? Thank you.
I too am having this issue, and I too get the same error when trying to manually start DHCP. I have manually edited the /opt/keexybox/dhcpd/etc/dhcpd.conf file to correct the DHCP range, but after clicking Next in the web UI, it writes it back to the incorrect values and breaks DHCP again. What's the status on getting this verified and fixed? Thank you.
(05-27-2020, 01:23 AM)htryw3 Wrote: I too am having this issue, and I too get the same error when trying to manually start DHCP. I have manually edited the /opt/keexybox/dhcpd/etc/dhcpd.conf file to correct the DHCP range, but after clicking Next in the web UI, it writes it back to the incorrect values and breaks DHCP again. What's the status on getting this verified and fixed? Thank you.

It looks this issue happens during the configuration Wizard. I will try to reproduce it in my side. Meanwhile what you can do is Skip DHCP config and configure it after rebooting at the end of the Wizard.

After the reboot, check/configure the network (System settings -> network) and then the DHCP (System settings -> DHCP) and then reboot KeexyBox again.
(05-27-2020, 01:23 AM)htryw3 Wrote: I too am having this issue, and I too get the same error when trying to manually start DHCP. I have manually edited the /opt/keexybox/dhcpd/etc/dhcpd.conf file to correct the DHCP range, but after clicking Next in the web UI, it writes it back to the incorrect values and breaks DHCP again. What's the status on getting this verified and fixed? Thank you.

It looks this issue happens during the configuration Wizard. I will try to reproduce it in my side. Meanwhile what you can do is Skip DHCP config and configure it after rebooting at the end of the Wizard.

After the reboot, check/configure the network (System settings -> network) and then the DHCP (System settings -> DHCP) and then reboot KeexyBox again.
It is a bug that is fixed now

You can fix it on your KeexyBox by following the instructions below :
  • Connect over SSH to your raspberryPI
  • As root run :

Code:
su - keexybox
cd /opt/keexybox/keexyapp/src/Controller/
mv ConfigController.php ConfigController.php.bak
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/keexybox/keexyapp/20.04.3/src/Controller/ConfigController.php

The KeexyBox 20.04.3 version will soon be packaged specifically to integrate the fix.
It is a bug that is fixed now

You can fix it on your KeexyBox by following the instructions below :
  • Connect over SSH to your raspberryPI
  • As root run :

Code:
su - keexybox
cd /opt/keexybox/keexyapp/src/Controller/
mv ConfigController.php ConfigController.php.bak
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/keexybox/keexyapp/20.04.3/src/Controller/ConfigController.php

The KeexyBox 20.04.3 version will soon be packaged specifically to integrate the fix.