Installation on Pi Zero W

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi,

I am a noob to Raspberry Pi and Linux.  I need some parental control tools for my kids' iPads.  I came across this great website.  I used the Pi-hole on my RP zero w for some time.  

I tried to install KeexyBox but, it didn't work. So, wondering if you could have a look at what I've done and tell me what went wrong.

Install KeexyBox by flashing MicroSD

1. Download Raspios Lite image bundled with latest KeexyBox. - 

2. Use balenaEtcher to flash the downloaded .img.xz image on your MicroSD.

3. Insert MicroSD card in your Raspberry PI.

4. Plug a RJ45 cable between your Raspberry PI and your internet router.

5. Plug micro USB power supply.

I followed the above except for the Step 4 since Pi Zero doesn't have a socket for a RJ45 cable. But, I created a wpa_supplicant.cont file with my wifi credentials (I did this because I didn't have a HDMI cable).  

For some reason, it didn't connect to the internet.  My questions is that do I need RJ45 cable to use the above method? 

I also did try to Install KeexyBox from installation script.
1. installed Raspberry Pi OS Lite (without desktop environment) 32 bit
2. connected to wifi via ssh
3. set APT repository (not 100% sure if I did this correctly though)
4. followed installation scripts.

As the installation went through, I could see a lot of 'Failed' lines e.g. bridge-tool, apache, php getext, php gd, database, python etc...

So, it failed to install KeexyBox at the end.  

thanks for your time.
Hi,

I am a noob to Raspberry Pi and Linux.  I need some parental control tools for my kids' iPads.  I came across this great website.  I used the Pi-hole on my RP zero w for some time.  

I tried to install KeexyBox but, it didn't work. So, wondering if you could have a look at what I've done and tell me what went wrong.

Install KeexyBox by flashing MicroSD

1. Download Raspios Lite image bundled with latest KeexyBox. - 

2. Use balenaEtcher to flash the downloaded .img.xz image on your MicroSD.

3. Insert MicroSD card in your Raspberry PI.

4. Plug a RJ45 cable between your Raspberry PI and your internet router.

5. Plug micro USB power supply.

I followed the above except for the Step 4 since Pi Zero doesn't have a socket for a RJ45 cable. But, I created a wpa_supplicant.cont file with my wifi credentials (I did this because I didn't have a HDMI cable).  

For some reason, it didn't connect to the internet.  My questions is that do I need RJ45 cable to use the above method? 

I also did try to Install KeexyBox from installation script.
1. installed Raspberry Pi OS Lite (without desktop environment) 32 bit
3. set APT repository (not 100% sure if I did this correctly though)
4. followed installation scripts.

As the installation went through, I could see a lot of 'Failed' lines e.g. bridge-tool, apache, php getext, php gd, database, python etc...

So, it failed to install KeexyBox at the end.  

thanks for your time.
Hi,

I found an answer to myself for the 2nd method, installing KeexyBox from script.

1. I found buster 32 bit image and installed in the SD card
3. set APT repository. Yes, this was where I didn't do properly.
To set the APT repository, I used the following script.
sudo su -c "echo 'deb http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian wheezy main contrib non-free' >> /etc/apt/sources.list"
sudo su -c "echo 'deb-src http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian wheezy main contrib non-free' >> /etc/apt/sources.list"
Then, sudo apt update (when I skipped this update, I still got errors).

That's it. All went well and finally completed the installation. It took 30 minutes on my Pi Zero.

I couldn't connect the wifi when I Installing KeexyBox by flashing MicroSD method. So, I gave up on this.
Hi,

I found an answer to myself for the 2nd method, installing KeexyBox from script.

1. I found buster 32 bit image and installed in the SD card
3. set APT repository. Yes, this was where I didn't do properly.
To set the APT repository, I used the following script.
sudo su -c "echo 'deb http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian wheezy main contrib non-free' >> /etc/apt/sources.list"
sudo su -c "echo 'deb-src http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian wheezy main contrib non-free' >> /etc/apt/sources.list"
Then, sudo apt update (when I skipped this update, I still got errors).

That's it. All went well and finally completed the installation. It took 30 minutes on my Pi Zero.

I couldn't connect the wifi when I Installing KeexyBox by flashing MicroSD method. So, I gave up on this.