Connection schedules not working

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello,

I am new to keexybox. I have set it in Use KeexyBox for website filtering only mode. The Wifi AP works fine and DHCP as well. I see my devices setup with DNS pointing to the keexybox-Raspi4. All devices but a few have been setup under a new profile 'kid' and I tried to limit the internet access time using the 'Connection schedules' attribute. I tried several different time constraints and none is stopping the internet traffic.

Even the Stop, pause internet buttons on the Devices Tab does not seem to do anything. The stats although is enabled is blank.

Internet traffic metering feature(s) have any dependency on TOR or captive portal?

I want to have simple time-limit per device/profile and sit block. please let me know what I am missing. I tried reading through the documents to understand how it is supposed to work, and I am not getting the answers for this.

2. One more thing, the keeyxybox web interface after login in as admin does show as offline "Disconnected from the internet" not sure why.

Thanks,

-Michael.
Hello,

I am new to keexybox. I have set it in Use KeexyBox for website filtering only mode. The Wifi AP works fine and DHCP as well. I see my devices setup with DNS pointing to the keexybox-Raspi4. All devices but a few have been setup under a new profile 'kid' and I tried to limit the internet access time using the 'Connection schedules' attribute. I tried several different time constraints and none is stopping the internet traffic.

Even the Stop, pause internet buttons on the Devices Tab does not seem to do anything. The stats although is enabled is blank.

Internet traffic metering feature(s) have any dependency on TOR or captive portal?

I want to have simple time-limit per device/profile and sit block. please let me know what I am missing. I tried reading through the documents to understand how it is supposed to work, and I am not getting the answers for this.

2. One more thing, the keeyxybox web interface after login in as admin does show as offline "Disconnected from the internet" not sure why.

Thanks,

-Michael.
Hi michael,

I also just setup Keexybox and noticed that it DID block based on the time schedules I set, much to my families dismay!! Very upset, lol.

In your DHCP settings, did you set it up as:
- (checked) Enable DHCP
- (unchecked) Check this box if you want to use KeexyBox as DNS only and do not want to use it as gateway.

It sounds like it's using your existing router as the gateway, not the Keexybox.

Regards,

Karl.
Hi michael,

I also just setup Keexybox and noticed that it DID block based on the time schedules I set, much to my families dismay!! Very upset, lol.

In your DHCP settings, did you set it up as:
- (checked) Enable DHCP
- (unchecked) Check this box if you want to use KeexyBox as DNS only and do not want to use it as gateway.

It sounds like it's using your existing router as the gateway, not the Keexybox.

Regards,

Karl.
(01-12-2021, 12:47 AM)mrwhite2020 Wrote: Hi Karl,

Yes, I was trying to use keexyBox in "Use KeexyBox for website filtering only" topology model, only the output network.
I tried again as per your suggestion to configure it like "Mixed use of KeexyBox", so both input and output networks are active with DHCP. devices without browser sit on the output network by using static-ip addresses. And laptop and computers on the input network - these devices some of them can connect to internet and some not, I think this is to do with the "Captive Portal settings". Any documentation on the 3 settings private, registration & free? I was trying to go simple without any registration requirement, so I could bypass adding users. All attempts render few devices unable to make it. I can drop these and follow the mode you are having success with. Could you send or email me more details here? I am willing to setup user accounts for every individual device and setup time-limit on them.

One more point, I am using the default raspbian OS (upgraded to latest) & install keexyBox over it. the documents do mention raspbian-lite. Could this cause some issues, in that case should I try the SD card image? I am using Raspberry pi 4, 4GB board.

Thanks,
-Michael.
(01-12-2021, 12:47 AM)mrwhite2020 Wrote: Hi Karl,

Yes, I was trying to use keexyBox in "Use KeexyBox for website filtering only" topology model, only the output network.
I tried again as per your suggestion to configure it like "Mixed use of KeexyBox", so both input and output networks are active with DHCP. devices without browser sit on the output network by using static-ip addresses. And laptop and computers on the input network - these devices some of them can connect to internet and some not, I think this is to do with the "Captive Portal settings". Any documentation on the 3 settings private, registration & free? I was trying to go simple without any registration requirement, so I could bypass adding users. All attempts render few devices unable to make it. I can drop these and follow the mode you are having success with. Could you send or email me more details here? I am willing to setup user accounts for every individual device and setup time-limit on them.

One more point, I am using the default raspbian OS (upgraded to latest) & install keexyBox over it. the documents do mention raspbian-lite. Could this cause some issues, in that case should I try the SD card image? I am using Raspberry pi 4, 4GB board.

Thanks,
-Michael.
Cheers Michael,

I think what you are trying to achieve and myself are the same. A non-intrusive DNS blacklisting using Keexybox's excellent interface.

In all the implementations, the captive portal is always active. Even if you capture the MAC addresses and activate based on a device, it still requires you to log into the keexybox admin and activate that device each time, pain in the arse.

I'm now trialling Pi.Hole as it does the same blacklisting of DNS addresses, minus the captive portal. I also felt the documentation was missing worked examples to follow so I added another post in the Network section of this forum for others to use if need be.

I left the registration as private, but free might be what you are after. Give it a go. I really liked the profiles and import of blacklists with Keexybox, if I could bypass the captive portal (a main feature I know), that would be great.

Regards,

Karl.
Cheers Michael,

I think what you are trying to achieve and myself are the same. A non-intrusive DNS blacklisting using Keexybox's excellent interface.

In all the implementations, the captive portal is always active. Even if you capture the MAC addresses and activate based on a device, it still requires you to log into the keexybox admin and activate that device each time, pain in the arse.

I'm now trialling Pi.Hole as it does the same blacklisting of DNS addresses, minus the captive portal. I also felt the documentation was missing worked examples to follow so I added another post in the Network section of this forum for others to use if need be.

I left the registration as private, but free might be what you are after. Give it a go. I really liked the profiles and import of blacklists with Keexybox, if I could bypass the captive portal (a main feature I know), that would be great.

Regards,

Karl.
The captive portal can be annoying for some. We will work on this topic to be able to disable captive portal and get internet access with a default profile.
The captive portal can be annoying for some. We will work on this topic to be able to disable captive portal and get internet access with a default profile.
(01-13-2021, 01:26 AM)mrwhite2020 Wrote: Cheers Michael,

I think what you are trying to achieve and myself are the same.  A non-intrusive DNS blacklisting using Keexybox's excellent interface.

In all the implementations, the captive portal is always active.  Even if you capture the MAC addresses and activate based on a device, it still requires you to log into the keexybox admin and activate that device each time, pain in the arse.

I'm now trialling Pi.Hole as it does the same blacklisting of DNS addresses, minus the captive portal.  I also felt the documentation was missing worked examples to follow so I added another post in the Network section of this forum for others to use if need be.

I left the registration as private, but free might be what you are after.  Give it a go.  I really liked the profiles and import of blacklists with Keexybox, if I could bypass the captive portal (a main feature I know), that would be great.

Regards,

Karl.

From keexybox 21.04.1 captive portal can by bypassed.

https://wiki.keexybox.org/doku.php/syste...tiveportal
https://wiki.keexybox.org/doku.php/devices_manage
(01-13-2021, 01:26 AM)mrwhite2020 Wrote: Cheers Michael,

I think what you are trying to achieve and myself are the same.  A non-intrusive DNS blacklisting using Keexybox's excellent interface.

In all the implementations, the captive portal is always active.  Even if you capture the MAC addresses and activate based on a device, it still requires you to log into the keexybox admin and activate that device each time, pain in the arse.

I'm now trialling Pi.Hole as it does the same blacklisting of DNS addresses, minus the captive portal.  I also felt the documentation was missing worked examples to follow so I added another post in the Network section of this forum for others to use if need be.

I left the registration as private, but free might be what you are after.  Give it a go.  I really liked the profiles and import of blacklists with Keexybox, if I could bypass the captive portal (a main feature I know), that would be great.

Regards,

Karl.

From keexybox 21.04.1 captive portal can by bypassed.

https://wiki.keexybox.org/doku.php/syste...tiveportal
https://wiki.keexybox.org/doku.php/devices_manage