DHCP & DNS trouble

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello,
I finish the setup on a raspberry 4 with a for website filtering and anonymity.
internal interface of Keexybox: 192.168.0.254
external interface of Keexybox:192.168.1.1
router interface: 192.168.1.254

GW: 192.168.1.254
DNS1: 208.67.222.222
DNS2: 8.8.4.4

DNS Redirector: enabled or disabled, same result. (what's criteria to decide to enable ou disable it?)

DHCP conf is (on the same interface so: Bro): 
internal: range 192.168.0.1 to 100
external: range 192.168.1.251 to  201
Why both ranges have to me enabled?
How a device will now which range to use?

But from a PC, I can't resolve any domain. (From keexy I can).
(I haven't create a user or a device).

Any idea?
Hello,
I finish the setup on a raspberry 4 with a for website filtering and anonymity.
internal interface of Keexybox: 192.168.0.254
external interface of Keexybox:192.168.1.1
router interface: 192.168.1.254

GW: 192.168.1.254
DNS1: 208.67.222.222
DNS2: 8.8.4.4

DNS Redirector: enabled or disabled, same result. (what's criteria to decide to enable ou disable it?)

DHCP conf is (on the same interface so: Bro): 
internal: range 192.168.0.1 to 100
external: range 192.168.1.251 to  201
Why both ranges have to me enabled?
How a device will now which range to use?

But from a PC, I can't resolve any domain. (From keexy I can).
(I haven't create a user or a device).

Any idea?
Hello,

To answer your first question about the DNS redirector, you have the explanation in this thread https://forum.keexybox.org/Thread-DNS-Se...d=98#pid98

DHCP config will depend on how you want to use keexybox for your PCs:

If PCs have to use keexybox as DNS only, you can enable DHCP only for external network. So the network range IP for PC will be 192.168.1.201 to 251 that will get as DNS server 192.168.1.1 (keexybox) and as gateway 192.168.1.254 (your router).

If PCs have to use keexybox as DNS and gateway (needed to use Tor), range have to be enabled in both network because you are using the same interface (the internal interface is a virtual interface of external interface). So the network range IP for PC will be 192.168.0.1 to 100 that will get as DNS server 192.168.0.254 (keexybox) and as gateway 192.168.0.254 (keexybox). Even if you do not use external ip range, it must be defined, if not, DHCP can't start.
In this configuration, you can do DHCP reservation (optional) for some PCs on external network by declaring them as device and set an IP for each 192.168.1.X. In this configuration, these PCs will get DNS server 192.168.1.1 (keexybox) and as gateway 192.168.1.254 (your router).

PC can't resolve any domain ?
Keexybox block everything by default. You must have a user account on Keexybox to use on the captive portal from the PC or else declare the PC as a device and connect it when declared.
If you do not want create users and declaring device and want to enable the DNS/Internet for the whole network, you must go to "Captive portal", set "Internet access conditions" to "None" and assign a profile.
Hello,

To answer your first question about the DNS redirector, you have the explanation in this thread https://forum.keexybox.org/Thread-DNS-Se...d=98#pid98

DHCP config will depend on how you want to use keexybox for your PCs:

If PCs have to use keexybox as DNS only, you can enable DHCP only for external network. So the network range IP for PC will be 192.168.1.201 to 251 that will get as DNS server 192.168.1.1 (keexybox) and as gateway 192.168.1.254 (your router).

If PCs have to use keexybox as DNS and gateway (needed to use Tor), range have to be enabled in both network because you are using the same interface (the internal interface is a virtual interface of external interface). So the network range IP for PC will be 192.168.0.1 to 100 that will get as DNS server 192.168.0.254 (keexybox) and as gateway 192.168.0.254 (keexybox). Even if you do not use external ip range, it must be defined, if not, DHCP can't start.
In this configuration, you can do DHCP reservation (optional) for some PCs on external network by declaring them as device and set an IP for each 192.168.1.X. In this configuration, these PCs will get DNS server 192.168.1.1 (keexybox) and as gateway 192.168.1.254 (your router).

PC can't resolve any domain ?
Keexybox block everything by default. You must have a user account on Keexybox to use on the captive portal from the PC or else declare the PC as a device and connect it when declared.
If you do not want create users and declaring device and want to enable the DNS/Internet for the whole network, you must go to "Captive portal", set "Internet access conditions" to "None" and assign a profile.
Hello,
Thank you for you answer.
I would like to use Keexybox as DNS and gateway (for website filtering and anonymity).

I'm a little confused with 2 DHCP ranges on the same interface:

As I understand your saying, 
Getting an IP address on external range is only through reservation?

So, If I don't made any reservation on external network, all my computers will get an Ip from the internal range only?
Hello,
I would like to use Keexybox as DNS and gateway (for website filtering and anonymity).

So, If I don't made any reservation on external network, all my computers will get an Ip from the internal range only?
(06-27-2021, 08:42 AM)diozea Wrote: Hello,

Getting an IP address on external range is only through reservation? YES
So, If I don't made any reservation on external network, all my computers will get an Ip from the internal range only? YES
(06-27-2021, 08:42 AM)diozea Wrote: Hello,

Getting an IP address on external range is only through reservation? YES
So, If I don't made any reservation on external network, all my computers will get an Ip from the internal range only? YES